Saturday, October 20, 2007

Saturday

So today we got to go to the Royal Oak Farmers market. It is one of my favorite things about living here. Kinda one of my only anyway. Now, we had Farmer's Markets in Portland. We had a lot actually, but this one is much better. Everything is sooooo cheap. Really. We never really went to Farmer's Markets in Portland because they were almost always more expensive than even the local grocery store we worked at. Plus we got a 20% discount there...Tomatoes at our farmers markets were like 3.99 lb, and fresh basil was 2.99. It never really made any sense to us either. We figured that if you were buying direct from the farmer, shouldn't it be cheaper? Guess not.
However, here it's very inexpensive. You can get a quart of tomatoes for 2.00, and basil is 1.50. You can get a basket of beans for 2.00, and leaks are .75. It's pretty cool. You can also get farm fresh chicken for $1.75 lb, and ground beef for $3.50. That might seem a bit spendy, but it's pasture feed and it's from a local farmer.

I am all about supporting local farms. There has been all this hype about buying organic, but really buying local is the way to go. If you can get both that's even better, but supporting your local farmer and saving as many rescources as you can is so much better.

So that's what I did today. Oh, and I tried to paint. Things aren't going to well in that department. I'm really stuck...it will come. I think I am going to make a bunch of little paintings and get some ideas out first. Hopefully it will help me move past this bump.

No comments: