Wednesday, January 28, 2009
So Maria asked me where I find motivation to work yesterday.
I thought I would answer her with a post about it.
I gave it some thought, and realized that probably more than half of my blogs entries are about how I don't have any motivation. Haha. Yeah. I guess that's not so true. Looking at how much art I have made since moving here, you can pretty much call me a liar when it comes to lack of motivation...
Um...where does it come from?
There are several factors that contribute to my motivation.
1. I love what I do. I really do. I love making art, and I make art just about everyday. It's the one thing that I feel confident doing. I feel like I know what I am doing, I know how to do it, and I really like doing it.
2. I hate retail. So, the only job that I ever seem to get is in retail. I have applied to so many different positions. All the jobs I ever seem to be able to land are retail, and I LOATHE retail. Seriously. I worked retail, in the natural food store industry, for a total of 8 years (with some breaks) and I really don't want to go back. So, making art, and selling it is huge motivation for me. If I don't make art, and try to be as successful as I can be with it, I have to go back. And I will do anything within my power not to.
3. To prove people wrong. I've been interested in art, and being an artist for a very long time. Since at least middle school. All I have ever heard since then is that it's virtually impossible to make a living as an artist. I was repeatedly told to study a field where I could get a job that makes money...
I want to prove those people wrong! Ha! So far, I'm doing okay. I don't have lots of money, and I am pretty much just getting by, but doing what I love to do is priceless and no amount of money could pay up to that.
4. There is nothing else to do. Really. I don't have a television. I've watched all the movies we own at least 10 times. There's no where to walk to. I don't have a vehicle most days, and even if I did, I still don't really have anywhere to go. Besides, going places requires some amount of disposable income which is pretty sparse right now...
5. I can't take naps. I'm up. For good. Until 11 or 12 at night. I can try to take a nap, but it never works out for me.
So yeah. I guess that, right there, is my motivation :)