Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Progress

faceless man...
What a productive day.

as you can see I've made some progress on the American Gothic painting. Yes, the dude is missing his face, but it's coming, I promise.

The lady's face was quite a challenge. I don't know if you've ever tried to paint someone's face, but I feel like can safely say it is no easy task. Keep in mind I've never met the people in the painting. I have a photo that I'm painting from and it's about the size of a deck of cards. Not a lot of detail can fit into a picture the size of a deck of cards...

I also don't have a lot of portrait painting experience under my belt. I've only painted four; two of which were myself, the other two being Nate. Both people whom I'm very familiar with.

Nate thinks she looks just like the photo, and I have to say that gives me quite a bit of confidence. He's always very vocal when things look weird, or funny. I trust his judgement.

anyway, it's challenging, but really, the only thing I'm having a problem with is the faces. I feel like much of the painting is going along quite easily, and I'm enjoying the work so far. I'm really excited about adding all the details I have in mind. I think that's my very favorite part of oil painting; all the details at the end.


1 comment:

Zyzanna said...

Yeah it can be a bit tricky to do from a photo, especially if ti's so small! I love paiting people but I don't do it for serious reasons very often (other than lifedrawing classes, that is).

But don't fret, I think it's looking really good so far! :)