Thursday, March 20, 2008

Drawing, Screen Printing, Art




March so far has been good.

I had a bit of a melt down this morning, but I am feeling a lot better now.

There are certain things that I have begun to realize since moving here. One being that I feel as though I have changed quite a bit. I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel different. Like my attitude towards certain things has changed, but I can't think of any specific things. It's weird.

I think I might have strep throat, but I am trying to convince myself otherwise. I have been doing myself with herbal nasties, and drinking lots of emergen - C as well as taking lots of vitamins. I think it's working...I know it's working!!

I have been watching this great documentary about young hip artists, and I think it's called The Run Up, I could be wrong. Michael returned the dvd before I had a chance to memorize the title. Anyway, it's a little hipster for me, but it's really inspired me to get back into drawing and I really really want to do some screen printing. I feel like if I am going to purse graphic design, I want to learn all aspects of it. I also want to be able to rely on making art/design with more than just my computer. The idea of bringing a handmade quality to graphic design is so appealing to me, and I want to make that a huge part of my work.

Printmaking is really where graphic design began, and I want to remind people of that. I also want to include book arts as much as possible in my design work.

So I did a drawing of the steel bridge today, and found myself rediscovering how much I love to draw. I love all the materials I used too. The illustration board has such a nice surface to draw on, and I love love love Micron pens!

I would love to turn this illustration into a screen and print it. I am afraid my lines are going to be too small to get a good screen, but I think if I can find a really fine screen, it can be done. I hope. Now it's just a matter of finding the money to get all the right tools. I love art, and making it, but it can be so expensive...

While I was gone Michael built me these great new shelves for all my shipping supplies. I was able to get a lot of stuff off the floor of my studio, and it looks so much better now. He rocks! So there is Thursday. Done and done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about changing gradually. I've made quite a few moves, up and down the east coast. Every time I do, I never think I'll acclimate, but I do, blending into the new surroundings and becoming part of the culture.
I love the bridge. A whole series of bridge tee's would be very cool.
I like your blog very much, it's very real!

Unknown said...

Ah, I moved from NY to NC and a friend of mine read my blog the other day and emailed me saying 'your life is so different now'. Made me think for a minute. Oh well, that's life, I guess. Anywho, feel better! Off to get some emergenC for myself!

Alicia said...

love your blog and you can send michael my way I could use some shelfs ;)

Janice La Verne said...

hi michele,

i love your blog because it inspires me. It inspires me to grow, try new things, and reconnect with old loves (drawing).

I have always wanted to learn screenprinting, it's the one type of printmaking (along with litho) that I haven't done. (I don't think my recent Gocco adventure counts).

You wouldn't miss Oregon right now. I think it's been raining for a week. Ugh.

Yipee Art, sometimes it just makes me so happy to be making art... Janice

Diana said...

I love that bridge drawing. It's the negative space -- what you didn't draw -- that I find really intriguing. I hope you can screen it because it would definitely be a keeper.

I don't remember how old you are, but I think definitely on the youngish side, no? Well, you wouldn't believe how much you are capable of changing by the time you hit 35. It creeps up on you, and before you know it, you wouldn't recognize who you were a year ago.

But it's not a bad thing. I find that I like myself more and more as time goes on. I hope you have the same experience.

Art Kitten said...

Michelle,

number one, I am going to be a total mom here, but if you think you have strep throat, you need to go to the doctor, because strep (when not taken care of) is very serious. So sorry to be a mom, but I had to do it :)

Secondly, I love the fact that you are into trying new things, I think it is great! A friend of mine and I are also going to do screenprinting very soon. As a printmaker, I feel I should know how to do this!

Kudos for your recognition of printmakers as well!

Linda O'Neill said...

Beautiful drawing, Michele. Hope you feel better. I take this tincture stuff called "Kick Ass" when I feel something like that coming on. It's probably because I just like the name!

Happy Easter to you and Chloe.:)