Monday, January 12, 2009

Art.





Okay, so on Friday I went over to Megan Chapman's Blog, to read her weekly post.
When I got there, I was a little surprised at what I saw...

She had posted several of her early works, and I was completely floored because they all looked so similar to my work. It's seriously creepy, but in a good way! :D

So I thought I would post some of my earlier works as well. You can see the all here, on my Flickr page.
These are pretty similar, but, I have several paintings at home in Portland, that I swear are pretty much identical...I wish I had some photos of them.

Oh well.
Anyway, looking at some of my earlier work has really made me think about my work now, and the direction it's going...
I will admit that I am really confused about where it is going.
I really enjoy some aspects of my early work, but I also really enjoy many of the aspects of the work I am doing now. I love the drawing, and illustrating that I am doing, and I would love to continue that. I also love many of the collage elements that are going on in my earlier work.

I feel like I have so many ideas, and so many things that I want to do, and there just isn't enough time or energy in the day to do them all.

Sitting here looking at this work, and thinking about my current work is a bit frustrating.
Maybe I just need to go bigger. Like, 16x20" or 4'x4' or even bigger...

I sometimes just feel like I have no idea what the hell I am doing.
Oh well. Just under the four month mark before the big move, and I gotta stay focused.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday. :)

5 comments:

Megan Chapman said...

Thanks for posting these Michele.
I was very anxious to see them when you told me about them.
I do see the similarities.
What year were these done? Were you in Oregon then? (I am assuming so. Maybe it was in the air there, as my older work was done there as well. :)

It is always interesting looking back and then at what we are doing now. Creates a lot of questions for me I know.
Thanks again for this post!

Janice La Verne said...

I too don't know what I am doing, and I have lots of ideas. Interesting how those two ideas can be compatible.

I always get pulled back to my teacher who says: "process not product". I just try to keep working, one step at a time.

I read Megan's posting. And yours. Hmmnn... more to follow?

and I would never make it at -10 or even 9 degrees. I am a doily in the cold!

Sleepandhersisters said...

Funny... in seeing these I can see some similarities in some of my older works to yours. Weird how we can be so many, many, miles away and yet have a little part of our thinking that was similar at some time. I always find it good to go back over old stuff, very useful indeed.

It must be hard knowing you are moving and getting that sorted in your head and still keep up all the creative part?

I often wonder what the hell I am doing... but I know it is something I need to do.

I hope it is not too snowy at your place, will send some sunny thoughts your way.

Robin Danely said...

I can totally relate... sometimes I think I only ever see the direction I was going when I look back.

And is it a blessing or a curse to have so many ideas and never enough time? Ach!

Yours truly, also in frigid temps. Hang in there. Love your work!

Anonymous said...

I think we all come to a place in life where we question "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?" or the like...where is my work going, what is the next step, am I progressing, do I like what I'm doing...the list could go on forever!

They are all valid and important questions too, don't you think? I love what Janice said about her teacher reminder her about process not product. I had the chance to sit in on an Alison Knowles lecture a couple months back and what she told us changed my life (and work and work ethic) profoundly.

She said, "As long as YOU know what your idea was, it doesn't matter what the end result is, it's the process that really counts". She went on to say that ideas change during the process and that it's not only ok, it's to be expected! I suddenly felt like I was a little kid given a 24 box of crayons and a coloring book and someone told me to go ahead and color outside of the lines!

Suddenly I saw everything differently. I stopped worrying about the answers to the questions I was freaking out about and started focusing on just asking them instead! Give into the questions a touch...it's more than ok, it's to be expected!!!

I've followed your work for a few months now and love it! I think the journey you are on is fantastic and I'm excited to see how these questions you are asking manifest themselves in your work!

Questioning everything, process, technique, aesthetics, mediums, why this, why that, is what makes artists and all creative types different from those that just blindly follow.

We've got passion, and we are looking to grow...growth lies in those questions, so ask away, even revel in the doubt - but JUST for a moment! Use that scary feeling (the doubt) as fertilizer! Trust your instincts and let the pen/paint/paper do it's thing, step back and see if you agree. If not, have another go. You are already doing it, you don't need anyone to tell you to do it...but it's nice to hear people backing you sometimes, no?!

You rock! Keep on sharing your stories and thoughts with us because it's great to see others going through the same struggles we all end up going through, at one point or another!

Cheers!
Devin