Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Sweet Girl



Originally uploaded by michele_maule

about 4 weeks ago I noticed a weird bump on my Chloe. I kept my eye on it thinking it might go away.

It did so I chalked it up to a bug bite.

It came back, went away, and came back again. Not sure what it was, and having very little money for the vet, I didn't know what to do...

Well, it got to a point where I just didn't want to ignore it anymore. I took her in and lo and behold it tested positive for a mast cell tumor.

Ugh. I felt sick. I felt like I should have done something sooner. I felt like if anything happened I would never forgive myself.

The vet informed me that it's common in Boston Terriers and that it would definitely need to be removed.

She gave me some info on the growth, but I'm pretty sure it freaked me out more than it gave me any reassurance. The first line on the second page stated, "Mast cell tumors are notoriously invasive and difficult to treat."

WTF does that even mean?!

There was no way in hell I was going to let some stupid tumor make her sick, or take her from me.

Needless to say, I've been beside myself for the past week. I think general panic and freaking out are better terms, actually.

I couldn't let anything happen to my girl. She's only 4 for crissakes! Right?! I'm aware that pets die but I was no way prepared for anything like that, yet.

I talked to just about anyone who would listen to my situation and I consulted with many dog owners, especially those who also have Bostons.

The general consensus is that many dogs get them and many survive just fine. I also talked briefly to the vet and she assured me that there was a very slim chance that the tumor was more than just a skin growth...

So, fast forward to today, the day of her surgery. I don't think I slept for more than 3 hours. I kept thinking about how much this little dog has changed so much of who I am.

as someone who deals with anxiety and depression, she has brought me so much joy and happiness. She has taught me not to take life so seriously in certain moments. She makes me laugh out loud almost every day.

The vet called me a couple of hours ago to inform me that her surgery went well and that she was just waking up.

I felt like I could breathe for the first time in a week. It's going to take a few days to get the test results back in regards to the spread of the tumor, but the doctor feels like she was able to extract it very well.

She informed me that Chloe will have to be very quiet with limited activity for 2 weeks. I have no clue how I am supposed to keep a Boston Terrier "quiet" for 2 weeks, but at this point I am so happy that she got through the surgery I don't even care.

There, that's all I have to say about this. I can pick her up in a few hours and I will be so very happy to see her little face.

8 comments:

Moe said...

oh my goodness! I am glad she is ok! I know how closely little puppies get into our hearts.

You are a great puppy momma...hope there is some quiet, but I am sure you will be happy to have her home & she will be happy to be home!

Best wishes

Sarah said...

Sending best wishes for Chloe's recovery!

tangled sky studio said...

poor little sweetie : ( as parent to kids, dogs, chickens, whatever really all we can do is the best we can. so glad it looks like all will be well in the end. i wih you many more happy years with chloe!

Anonymous said...

I fell for your dog's cute face before I knew much about her owner =0) I'm so sad that you had to go through this. As you know my Olive (Boston, Jack) is also four. These growths are common, but VERY treatable. I think you'll have her a good long while. You are in our thoughts! A quiet kennel, chew toys with frozen PB are good ways to keep her movement limited.

Elizabeth said...

Good wishes to you both! She is a lovely, sweet little dog. And good luck keeping her calm, I know from experience that is a challenge.

Michele Maule said...

thank you everyone!

She slept for about 13 hours straight and is resting now. I'm having a hard time keeping her from jumping, but other than that, she seems to be doing well!

Rochelle said...

So glad Chloe is ok. I miss seeing you two at the studio! Lots of puppy love, Ro

www.webhablada.es said...

This won't have effect in fact, that's exactly what I believe.