Thursday, January 10, 2013

Treasure

You are treasure. You are treasured.
2012 was really hard for many people. There were a number of terrible, unnecessary shootings.  Many people I know lost people they loved, and some friends lost their pets too.

Within two weeks a co-worker's partner died from a stroke and two other co-workers were diagnosed with cancer. One of those co-workers diagnosed was my friend, Robert, who died two months ago yesterday.

Shortly after my co-worker's partner passed away, Nate told me about a conversation that he had had with a lead cashier, Kari. They were discussing how sometimes we forget to tell people in our lives how much they mean to us. We get so busy we forget the fragility of life. Sometimes we forget to tell those who we love, and care about, they are treasures. They ended the conversation by telling each other that they are treasure, and every now and then they remind each other.

After hearing about this conversation, I wanted to make a piece using this idea. I just didn't know how. I came up with the idea for this watercolor painting the other day, and finally got a chance to create it today. It's not quite finished, but it's almost done.

I'm no expert on the lesson of pain and loss, but I feel like I was able to learn a little bit about it this past year. The loss of friends and loved ones (humans or pets) is never easy, but sometimes it can show us the importance of the lives around us.

I know all of this sounds cliche, and a bit corny, but it's how I feel right now. 

No comments: