Wednesday, February 13, 2013

New Whales

When I was a little girl I would often think about becoming a marine biologist. We always lived rather close to the ocean because my dad was in the Navy. Almost every year my class would visit an aquarium, sometimes twice a year...

This little narwhal has sold, but he'll be back in stock soon!
I loved these trips to the aquarium. I loved learning about the ocean and what lived in it. It was always a bit frightening to me too. Such a vast expanse of deep water that could take you out with one swoop.

Whale.
A few years ago, Nate and I rented a little cottage right on the beach. You could stand out on the deck and see the ocean. At night you could go out and see the black, dark, ocean and it would give me chills.



I completed these two whale prints the other day and it got me thinking about all these memories. It also made me think about how important our oceans are and how much they've been suffering. I truly hope that we can help heal our oceans from pollution and human neglect. I feel like if we can bring back the blue whale from the point of extinction, we can help bring back our oceans too. It's just going to take some work and sacrifice on our end.

No comments: