Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Heart Community College


I have a soft spot in my heart for community college. It's true.

I hope that Michael gets a job working at one. I would love to take more classes and learn. FOREVER.
I have always loved school. I don't know why. I think it's something that I am just good at. Being a student. It makes me so happy to be there. My life feels so good when I'm learning.

So today I got more drawing done for some new paintings. I am working on this painting of a typewriter right now. Typewriters are a pain in the ass to draw. I like it though. I found this great Martha Blue typewriter one day while shopping at The Bins in Portland. For those of you that aren't familiar with The Bins, I will explain. The Bins is basically where everything that doesn't sell at Goodwill goes. The "Goodwill Outlet Store" if you will. Clothes and any sort of fabric material is $1.49 a pound. Yes, a pound. It's pretty awesome and disgusting at the same time. I highly recomend wearing some surgical gloves. Basically you walk in to this giant warehouse and all you see is rows and rows of bins. The bins are filled with everything from clothes to sheets, to toys, to books, to VHS tapes, to bike parts. Everything. You just go in and start digging. It's like a treasure hunt. They have furniture too. It's a really fun to go there on your day off when you have nothing better to do. It's probably THE best place to go and people watch.

The bins use to be located in a different part of Portland. A part that you wouldn't necessarily ever want to go...unless you were craving a huge steak dinner and hankering to see some strippers. At the same time. No, the bins use to be located in such an area, and it was this old moldy dark warehouse. It was frightening and fun at the same time. Anyway, that's where I found my pretty blue typewriter. I knew I had to have it when I discovered that it wrote it CURSIVE. It was love at first sight, and it was only 5 bucks. So yeah. I am painting her.
I found a picture of her, but it's not exactly the same. Mine has white keys and the blue is a little deeper. I was going to take a picture, but I am feeling extremely lazy. And after figuring this whole copying and pasting pictures from the internet I have become addicted to it.

I'm tired. I'm still going to the gym and it kicked my butt today. So it's an evening of sitting on the couch and watching some L Word on the Netflix.

2 comments:

Janice La Verne said...

oh my gosh! I have an old Smith-Corona that I got at the bin-wild-place in Santa Cruz. I only went once with friends, and what I remember were items of clothing literally flying in the air as people tossed them around.I have to find a new ribbon for mine though... cursive, now that is something to feel lucky about. Can't wait to see your painting. I'm going to paint a lot this weekend as we are off to the coast to relax and let Monty the greyhound run on the beach. It's a sight to behold. Have a wonderful weekend, Janice

Michelle C. Moode said...

hold the phone...TWO etsy-sellers named Michelle (Michele) that have blue typewriters? eh-hem. creepy!!

http://millionsofpeoplehappy.blogspot.com/2007/12/robot-party.html

http://millionsofpeoplehappy.blogspot.com/2007/12/lemons-lists-blue-typewriters.html

I envy your cursive!! and LOVE your work, Michele!