Friday, February 8, 2008

To Reproduce or Not Reproduce. Prints not Kids.



Wow!
Thanks for all the great feedback people.
I really appreciate it.

I am still conflicted about the whole thing. I mean, I realize that my paintings are affordable right now, and I also know that I am really under pricing them. But, and that's a big but, I am not so sure that people on Etsy would really buy them if they were priced any higher. That is the biggest draw back to selling on Etsy. People want to buy things that are well made and pretty, but also within their budget. I can't really blame them.I try to price things with the idea that if they sold in a gallery that gallery would take anywhere from 30-50%. So if I sold a painting in a gallery for a hundred dollars, I'd sell that same painting on Etsy for 50.00 or 60.00.

I guess you could look at it as everyone should be able to afford art...

OK, the other thing that is drawing me more towards prints is that frankly I really could use some money. I know I know, what an awful thing to say when I comes to art and being an artist. I should be scrounging around for change in the sofa to just so I can buy some bread a some cheap wine because that's how "real" artists do it. Rauschenburgh was so broke living in New York that he couldn't afford to buy canvas anymore, but was so desperate to make art that he used his own bedspread. Yeah. Sorry peeps that's not me. I am pretty partial to my bedspread, as well as my couch cushions and rugs. I like to have clean clothes, and although nothing seems very appetizing to me these days, (no I am not pregnant, it's a cumulation of nerves and worry)I still like a good meal in my stomach. Besides I am much more of a micro-beer girl! But I just might be reliving my Pabst days in the not to far future...

Also, I estimate that I have created a little over a hundred paintings since November and I am feeling quite burnt out. I need a break, but taking a break means no money and financially that doesn't work for me. So yeah.

I did try to get a job here too. It is so hard though. I turned in over 30 resumes. I even interviewed twice for the same job I had in Portland but they told me that I didn't have enough experience. I am not kidding. I wish I was. That was my last hope. I mean, if I can't get a job doing easy retail management what am I going to do here? And to be perfectly honest, I think I would rather eat Ramen and Mac n' Cheese every night before I work retail again. I think I am totally going to regret saying that later on in my life...

I might be getting a job on campus in the photo lab, but the woman running it didn't seem to like the idea that I have class Monday and Tuesday nights, so we'll see.

Anyway, I think that what I might do is order a couple of prints, see how they do and go from there. At least until I can get a nice body of originals done so that I can have a full shop again. I have this show coming up in Portland so I need to start working on that too, so it might be awhile until I can get things up and running again.

Thanks again for all the great feedback. I really appreciate it. Any more comments are much appreciated.

No comments: